The aims of the BVRSMA will be:
- To regulate the use of hydrotherapy, physiotherapy and rehabilitation to ensure it is performed by suitably qualified and experienced professionals
- To provide continuing professional development for veterinary surgeons, physiotherapists and veterinary nurses, and to provide training courses and certification in the UK.
- To maintain standards of excellence and ethics to and develop a code of practice
- To encourage and fund scientific research and evidence based clinical trials
- To promote the understanding, acceptance and integration of physiotherapy and rehabilitation within the veterinary profession.
- To achieve recognition from regulatory bodies such as the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons.
- To be affiliated with other veterinary associations such as the British Small Animal Veterinary Association, British Equine Veterinary Association etc.