Dog Steps are great to help your pup in and out of the car and on and off the couch or bed.
Steps are especially useful for:
- Small dogs (small dogs can get injured jumping off the couch or bed)
- Seniors dogs (older dogs can have trouble getting around and up and down surfaces)
- Dogs with arthritis (pain can limit your dog's ability to hop on the couch, bed, or in the car)
- Dogs with a weak hind end (weak hips, back, knees, or ankles can impair a dog's ability to get on / off the couch or bed)
- Dogs with DM (degenerative myelopathy) or other mobility issues
- Dogs that are scared of ramps (some dogs don't trust or like ramps and do better with steps)
*Note: For dogs with leg amputations, we recommend using a sturdy ramp rather than steps as these pets do better climbing a flat surface.
Not all dog steps are the sameSteps need to be safe and dependable. There are a few different things to consider when buying dog steps, so let’s get started!
- Steps should be strong enough to handle your dog. This isn't a big issue if you have a smaller dog but check the weight capacity of the steps before you purchase them.
- Steps should be deep enough to accommodate you dog's whole paw and wide enough to accommodate your dog's width. For smaller dogs, also look at the height of each step so that your little one can climb them easily (choose dog steps with short in height).
- Steps should be treaded or carpeted and slip-proof. The last thing you want is for your dog to slip off the steps.
- Steps should also have a non-slip base. This is especially important if you have to place the steps on a wooden or tile floor. Dog steps should not slide on the floor.
- Consider the actual weight of the steps. This is important, especially when you need to move the dog steps from one surface to another or store the steps away.
- Steps should be easy to set up or already assembled. I don’t like to read instructions or get out my tool box! We recommend steps that are either preassembled or can be simply assembled.
- Steps should be easy to clean or have replaceable treads.
VITAL VET's Overall Best Pick is…(drum roll please)
- Has four, easy-to-manage, wide steps
- Comes in x-large for larger pets
- Non-skid step covers that are also replaceable
- Steps have a closed-back so that paws cannot slip through
- Raised sides so dogs can stay securely in the center of the steps
- Non-slip base so that it stays in place even on slippery floors
- Lightweight (only 9 lbs) and foldable for easy storage
- Supports pets up to 150 lbs (standard steps) and 200 lbs (x-large steps)
- Can be used indoor and outdoor
Other VITAL VET Favorites include:
A two stepper for medium to large dogs
- The innovative incline of each step reduces the amount of stairs needed to climb eliminating stress on your pet
- Rubber grippers on bottom keep step secure and in place even on slippery floors
- The carpet treads remove easily and are machine washable
- The stair easily snaps together (no tools required)
- Suitable for pets up to 200-Pounds so it's great for larger dogs
- Step height 6"; Top step depth 12"; 2nd step depth 11" - plenty of depth for even the largest paws!
Looking for a little style for indoor use? This one's for you!
- Handsome, wooden construction - very stylish, decorative touch to match your home
- Holds up to 200 pounds
- Folds down for easy storage
- Available in 3 different heights; 15 inches with three steps, 20 and 25 inches with four steps
- Non-slip steps
- Closed-back and sides to the steps so paws cannot slip through or off the sides
Now for the chameleon of dog step furniture!
- This dog step converts into a ramp it's great if you have a dog that may need to transition to a ramp down the road
- The dog steps have an open back and do not have side rails so please watch and/or help your dog when using the steps
- Supports pets up to 200 pounds
- Adjustable height from 16" to 20" works with different surface heights
- Steps are carpeted for easier grip for paws
- Folds down for easy storage
- Weighs about 18 lbs (so a little heavier than the other dog steps we mentioned)
Here’s one for our lovable wee bits, for smaller dogs, puppies, and cats.
- Removable washable cover
- 2-in-1 design so this on can be used as steps AND toy storage or comfortable sleep cubby
- This one has an closed-back design but does not have side rails so please watch and/or help your dog when using the steps
- Lightweight and easily portable
- Easy to assemble
There you have it! Our top picks for dog steps.
If you have any tips or tricks to add, please add them in the comments.
Let’s work together and give them the best life possible!
A Vital Vet Publication